Thursday, March 29, 2007

Breastfeeding Zoe


If you think that by having a pair of solid breast can make you a successful breastfeeding mum, then you are getting yourself into trouble. Breastfeeding can be quite difficult and arduous and that motherhood would be, well frankly quite unenjoyable in the beginning of my first few weeks. Honestly, I hadn't read up on breastfeeding and was totally taken by suprise. Those early weeks have been harder than my pregnancy and labor combined - all I think, because I just wasn't well enough informed.

It takes alot of my time and energy to breastfeed Zoe the first 2 months. Waking up every hourly can be mentally draining for me. Crying out to Muk Hian each time when Zoe doesn't latch well really brings anxiety to myself and Muk Hian. Just by seeing how small she is, really made me the more want to breastfeed her. Though how much work it can be for me, just to be able to watch Zoe grow is the most rewarding thing. I nearly gave up the first few weeks but with the support of Muk Hian, I persevered on. Muk Hian came back one day with lots of articles on breastfeeding and it truly encouraged me alot to continue breastfeeding her.

Well, I'm back to work after my 2 months break and I'm still breastfeeding Zoe. Simply amazing to know how God's strength and grace can help me to continue with breastfeeding. Told Muk Hian that with the experiences that I went through, I'll make sure that other pregnant ladies are well informed on breastfeeding. Here's one useful URL for you to read on. There are quite alot of articles to read in this url.

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/baby/babybreastfeed/465.html

That's Zoe, searching for milk!


Question: How will breastfeeding change the appearance of my breasts?

Answer: Many women worry that if they nurse, their breasts will sag and become unattractive. The truth is that life itself takes a toll on our breasts. Age, weight gain or loss, pregnancy, the effects of gravity, and yes, breastfeeding all affect the way your breasts look.During pregnancy, your breasts prepare for nursing by becoming larger, while your nipples and areola get darker, and may become slightly larger as well. Several days after birth, your breasts become fuller and heavier as your milk "comes in."Approximately two weeks or so after birth, your breasts return to the approximate size they were during pregnancy, and stay that way until you wean your baby. When you return to your pre-pregnancy weight, your breasts will likely return to their pre-pregnant size, though they probably won't be quite as "perky" as they were before you were pregnant. The only way to keep firm, upright breasts throughout your lifetime is to never get pregnant and never get old!

No comments: