Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Confinement-Should we practice?

A lot of the confinement practice (I'm talking about Chinese confinement practice lah) is probably brought from China where it is cold and during times when there was no running water and water heater. Also, the 30 days after childbirth was the only time a woman gets to be pampered and given nutritious food. In modern times, I believe the confinement practice is to get new moms to rest and not be gallivanting about town. I believe it aims to replenish the new mothers' strength, depleted in the delivery process.

As for myself, I didn't really like my confinement experiences. One reason was because I wasn't prepared for the early delivery and hence not ready mentally with what confinement could mean, though I like the idea of getting help in the first month. Many a times I asked Muk Hian, we live in the tropics and there is running hot water, so why cannot wash my hair? Cannot eat vege for a month! Get constipated? I think that's even more unhealthy than being afraid of getting "wind"! I ate chicken wine every meal and each time after every meal, I sweat real bad. Well, I believe in moderation and working with the baby's rhythm. Shower and wash hair with warm water, eat lots of veg and drink lots of water and everything else. By the way, my hair stinked so badly that Muk Hian could even smell it a metre away. (NOT exaggerating k) I bathed everyday in Chinese herb water, the water so hot that I sweat the moment I stepped out from the bathroom.

I liked the idea of drinking the date drink 'coz I thought it helped with my milk supply. Besides, being confined upstairs for most of the time really frigthens me as I will be the only one handling Zoe and being an unexperienced mum, I broke down several times. Besides not having Muk Hian around during weekdays can really crash my spirit into pieces.

Juggling with breastfeeding, changing of nappies and yet coping with confinement really made me broke down in desperation for Muk Hian. Thank God for weekends when Muk Hian is around. He is truly a great guy, encouraging and helping around!

To add to all these, I was confined upstairs during CNY reunion. Didn't really think it was a good idea to bring Zoe downstairs coz I have 2 young nieces who can be quite cheeky at times. Mama (mother in law) was rather understanding to suggest that I have the meal together with everyone on 2nd day of CNY and that she will take care of Zoe, making sure that she's ok.

Now to think about it again, though I didn't really like my confinement experience, the one month confinement wasn't all that bad. I believe it was for my own good. Well, I had learnt to be stronger emotionally, mentally and most importantly physically.

No comments: